County Carlow is in the eastern province of Leinster.
The town of Carlow is on the River Barrow. Towns include: Carlow, ,Clonmore; Clonegal Hacketstown,Tullow Pierce Butler (1840-1876) from Carlow represented South Carolina in the Continental Congress and the U.S. Senate. ]
Myles Keogh, military officer and later Captain of Company I, U.S. 7th Cavalry Regiment in the American civil war also fought in the Indian Wars and was killed at the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876.
Places of interest
One of Carlow’s most notable landmarks is the Brownshill Dolmen, situated on the Hacketstown Road (R726). The capstone of this impressive Dolmen is reputed to be the largest in Europe.
Carlow Castle was probably built between 1207 and 1213 by William Marshall on the site of a motte erected by Hugh de Lacy in the 1180s.
Only the western wall and two towers now survive. It is located on the banks of the River Barrow near Carlow town centre. The castle is now the imposing centrepiece of a major urban renewal programme.
Ducketts Grove is the ruin’s of the Georgian home of the Duckett Family, built circa 1800s. It was taken over by Carlow County Council in 2005, who restored the walled gardens for use by the public as a park. It is situated just off the R418.
Carlow Courthouse is situated at the end of Dublin Street. It was designed by William Vitruvius Morrison in 1830 and completed in 1834. It is built of Carlow granite and gives the impression of being a temple set on a high plinth. The basement contains cells and dungeons. A cannon from the Crimean War stands on the steps.
Carlow Town Hall is situated on the north side of the Haymarket, and was the trading centre for Carlow. A number of other markets were located around the town, including the Potato Market and Butter Market. The Town Hall was designed by the church architect William Hague in 1884.
Milford is a green area on the River Barrow approx 5 miles outside of Carlow town. It is notable as its home to Milford Mill, which was the first inland hydro-electrical plant in Ireland. It began supplying Carlow town with power in 1891.
Some samples For complete selections visit Our Store
The N9 road from Dublin to Waterford passed directly through the town until May 2008 when a bypass, part of the M9 motorway, was opened, greatly reducing traffic through the town. The N80 National secondary road skirts the edge of the town.
The town is also connected to the national rail network. These transport links have helped Carlow to become a successful satellite town of Dublin in recent years.
The establishment of the Institute of Technology, Carlow, has also helped drive growth in the area and encouraged many school leavers to remain in the town.
Carlow railway station opened on 4 August 1846 and was closed for goods traffic on 9 June 1976, it remains open for public travel.
We have gifts with Carlow hurling/football graphic added free.We hope you will enjoy your time when you visit OUR STORE